Friday's Progress Notes - August 16, 2002
Mental Health Information - Vol. 6 Issue 11
Published by athealth.com - http://www.athealth.com
Join our leading online community of mental health professionals by subscribing
to Friday's Progress Notes! It's free!
1. Top ten HIPAA tips
2. How to apply for a HIPAA extension
3. Integrating psychological approaches into primary care
4. Guidelines for working with the media
5. How to terminate an employee
6. Telephone problems that can lead to a malpractice claim
7. Achieving a more minority-friendly practice
8. Legal issues in caring for adolescents
NEED CREDITS? EARN CE WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete catalog of our courses, click on
- HIPAA Made Friendly: How To Become Compliant
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships
- Motivational Interviewing as a Counseling Style
- Supervision: Issues in Clinical Supervision
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- Ethical Issues with Fees, Billing, and Collections
- Ethics: Spiritual Issues in Clinical Practice
- Ethics: Confidentiality
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Recreating Partnership: Couples Therapy
- Risk Management: The Application of Law and Ethics to Risk Management
- Understanding Suicidal Behavior in the Military
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Personality Disorders
The Department of Health and Human Services recently published its final changes to the HIPAA privacy regulations. To read the final modifications to the privacy rule, including the HHS press release and a fact sheet, go to http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
How to HIPAA - Top Ten Tips
This free downloadable booklet from the AMA is directed toward physicians, but is useful for all health care providers. The material includes a sample patient letter designed to give patients an understanding of the scope and purpose of HIPAA.
2. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS
HIPAA Compliance: How to Get an Extension
The government will give you another year to comply with the transactions and code sets standards, but you have to ask for it.
3. EFFECTIVE CLINICAL PRACTICE
Behavioral Medicine: The Challenge of Integrating Psychological and Behavioral Approaches into Primary Care
A growing body of literature supports the efficacy of behavioral medicine interventions. Integrating behavioral medicine into primary care is an important challenge.
4. AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
How to Work With the Media: Interview Preparation for Psychologists
This guide provides tips for clinicians who are asked to provide an interview or participate in a TV or radio program.
5. MEDICAL ECONOMICS
When It's Time To Give an Employee the Boot
Employees who break the rules, won't learn, or spread dissension don't belong in your practice. Here's how to cut them loose.
6. PSYCHIATRIC NEWS
Part 1 - Talk Not Cheap If You Lower Your Guard
Problems related to the telephone are a recurrent issue in malpractice lawsuits.
Part 2 - Phones Can Give Wrong Message If Practices Aren't Followed
7. FAMILY PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
Achieving a More Minority-Friendly Practice
The authors provide ten tips to enhance relationships with patients of culturally or ethnically diverse backgrounds.
8. POSTGRADUATE MEDICINE
Legal Issues in Caring for Adolescent Patients
Patients under the age of majority, which is defined by state law and is usually 18 years, are considered minors. In general, these patients cannot give informed consent about healthcare decisions for themselves.
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional,
and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
ONLINE CE AND HOME STUDY COURSES
Take online CE or order home study videos, tapes, and books!
Alzheimer's, Anxiety, Aging, Anger Management, ADHD, DSM-IV Diagnoses, Domestic Violence, Ethics, PTSD, Grief and Loss, Addiction, Psychopharmacology, OCD, Co-Dependence, PTSD in Children, EMDR, Conduct Disorder, Eating Disorders, Treating Childhood Obesity, Couples Therapy, and more!
LIST YOUR PRACTICE OR TREATMENT CENTER IN OUR DIRECTORIES!
If you're not listed in our therapist directory or our treatment center directory, you're missing out! Many of our site visitors are looking for a therapist or a treatment center! For listing information, click on
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2002 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on September 30, 2010
and the Law