Friday's Progress Notes - October 27, 2000
Mental Health Information - Vol. 4 Issue 32
Published by athealth.com - http://www.athealth.com
Join our leading online community of mental health professionals by subscribing
to Friday's Progress Notes! It's free!
1. Treatment algorithm for schizophrenia
2. Practice guideline for treatment of schizophrenia
3. Assessment and treatment of schizophrenia
4. Diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia
5. OCD in schizophrenia
6. Medications for mental illness
ONLINE CE! EARN CREDIT WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete course catalog, click on http://www.athealthce.com
- Schizophrenia: A Psychoeducational Model for Treating the Adolescent Who Is Seriously Emotionally Disturbed
- Childhood-onset Schizophrenia
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Treating Difficult Adolescents
- Adolescent Girls: Development and Treatment Issues
- Suicide Assessment and Intervention
- Supervision: Issues in Clinical Supervision
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- PTSD: Treating Adults, Adolescents, and Children
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Psychotherapeutic Medications 2006: What Every Counselor Should Know
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Family Counseling: Family Involvement, Assessment, Closure, and Ethical Issues
- Diagnosing and Treating Co-Dependence
- Motivational Interviewing as a Counseling Style
Schizophrenia, an often-misunderstood brain disease, affects
about 1% of the population worldwide. Comorbid conditions include
impairment of cognitive function, depression, obsessive-compulsive
behavior, substance abuse, and aggressive behavior. Today's
newsletter focuses on this complex and disabling mental illness.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to the e-newsletter at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. TEXAS MEDICATION ALGORITHM PROJECT
Schizophrenia Guidelines Manual
The goal of the algorithm project is to improve the quality of
treatment to public sector patients, while containing cost of
services over a patient's lifetime. (Adobe Acrobat Reader needed.)
2. AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Schizophrenia
The guidelines include sections on disease definition, treatment
principles and alternatives, implementation of a treatment plan,
and clinical and environmental features influencing treatment.
3. NATIONAL COLLABORATING CENTER FOR MENTAL HEALTH
Management of Persons with Psychoses
The practice parameters address diagnostic assessment,
diagnostic formulation, and treatment issues.
4. SURGEON GENERAL'S REPORT
Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion, affecting the most fundamental human attributes: language, thought, perception, affect, and sense of self.
5. JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY AND NEUROSCIENCE
Comorbidity and pathophysiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder in schizophrenia: Is there evidence for a schizo-obsessive subtype of schizophrenia?
Epidemiologic and neurobiologic evidence suggests that patients with comorbid obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and schizophrenia may represent a special category among patients with schizophrenia.
6. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH
Medications for Mental Illness
This booklet is designed to help mental health patients and their families understand how and why medications can be used as part of the treatment of mental health problems.
FEATURED TREATMENT CENTERS
The Menninger Clinic - Houston, TX
Treatment of adult and adolescent psychiatric disorders and chemical dependency
DIRECTORY OF MENTAL HEALTH PRACTITIONERS
If you're not listed in our professional directory, you're missing out! Many of our site visitors are looking for a therapist or a treatment center! For listing information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-284-3258.
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional,
and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2000 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on December 26, 2009