Teenagers and Mental Health
Friday's Progress Notes - May 19, 2000
Mental Health Information - Vol. 4 Issue 15
Published by athealth.com - http://www.athealth.com
Subscribe to Friday's Progress Notes! The best mental health newsletter on the Internet for practitioners and it's free!
1. Start talking to your ADHD child
2. Treating childhood and adolescent depression
3. Helping schools deal with youth depression/suicide/violence
4. Teens and media portrayal of sexuality
5. Treating adolescent victims of violence
6. Adolescents in high-risk settings
7. Teen use of club drugs
8. Diagnosis and treatment of ADHD
9. Successful parenting in high-risk neighborhoods
ONLINE CE! EARN CREDIT WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete course catalog, click on http://www.athealthce.com
- ADHD: Diagnostic Criteria and Evaluation
- Treating Difficult Adolescents
- Adolescent Girls: Development and Treatment Issues
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Brief Strategic Family Therapy for Adolescent Drug Abuse
- Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships
- Motivational Interviewing as a Counseling Style
- Suicide Assessment and Intervention
- Supervision: Issues in Clinical Supervision
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
Teenagers are confronted with unprecedented challenges as they
make their way through adolescence. Unplanned pregnancies, alcohol
and drug use, eating disorders, youth violence, depression, suicide,
peer pressure, family stress, and broken relationships are just a
few of the issues facing today's adolescents. This week's
newsletter focuses on some of these health concerns.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. EMPOWERING PARENTS
How To Stop Arguing - and Start Talking - with Your ADHD Child
Many experiences of kids with ADHD are amplified or more intense than those of average kids. So when the word "No" is heard by a child with ADHD, it registers a "10" on their emotional scale while it probably would be a "5" or less for the average kid.
2. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH
Depression in Children and Adolescents
Early diagnosis and treatment of depressive disorders are critical to healthy emotional, social, and behavioral development.
3. UCLA SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH PROJECT
Information to help schools deal with youth suicide, depression,
4. KAISER FAMILY FOUNDATION
Sex on TV3: Content and Context
This study examines how media portrayals of sexuality can
affect adolescent sexual socialization.
5. AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS
Adolescent Assault Victim Needs: A Review of Issues and a Model Protocol
This report summarizes the epidemiology of violent injury
in adolescence and its physical and emotional consequences
and outlines appropriate care for the victims.
6. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
Losing Generations: Adolescents in High-Risk Settings
At least 7 million young Americans--fully one-quarter of
adolescents 10 to 17 years old--may be at risk of failing
to achieve productive adult lives. They use drugs, engage
in unprotected sex, drop out of school, and sometimes commit
crimes, effectively closing the door to their own futures.
7. NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON DRUG ABUSE
Ecstasy, Herbal Ecstasy, Rohypnol, GHB, and Ketamine are
among the drugs used by teens and young adults who are part
of a nightclub, bar, rave, or trance scene.
8. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH
Information on treatment options, strategies for coping, and sources of information and support.
9. FUTURE OF CHILDREN
Successful Parenting in High Risk Neighborhoods
Parenting strategies that help high-risk kids overcome
obstacles and achieve success.
LIST YOUR PRACTICE OR TREATMENT CENTER IN OUR DIRECTORIES!
If you're not listed in our therapist directory or our treatment center directory, you're missing out! Many of our site visitors are looking for a therapist or a treatment center! For listing information, click on
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional,
and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2000 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on December 1, 2010